The faults of society
Society has changed a lot in the last century or even in the last couple of decades. Some people would like to say that it changed for the better, but even though I think some things did improve there are so many flaws that the majority of people decide to ignore or just agree with them because it’s the easier thing to do.
Well, I am not the type of person who likes to be told what to do, what to believe etc. I want to fight for my future and the future of my children and grandchildren. I also believe that Gen z will be the generation to change the world. Even though right now some of us aren’t legally allowed to vote yet, when we will be able to, I really believe that a lot of things will change.
Now, let’s talk about some of these flaws:
- Racism. I know this is already a very talked about topic, but I do think it can be talked about even more so we can educate more people. Why do so many people think it’s ok to deprive other human beings of basic human rights just because of the color of their skin or their race. We supposedly evolved since the 18th century when racism was a “thing”. We need to help people understand that this is not ok.
- Homophobia. This is a very controversial topic, which to me it seems stupid. Why do we have the right to judge people and hate on them just based on who they love? Are they doing something wrong? Something illegal? I don’t think so. They have every right to love whomever they want to and we have no saying in that. Which brings me to my next point:
- Haters. There are so many people just spreading hate online for no apparent reason. Some people actually go on Instagram or Tik Tok just to hate on other peoples’ videos or pictures because they feel like it. Some of them have no idea what that can do to a human. How much damage can be done just because that one person was bored. There are so many examples of teenagers taking their own lives because of all the hate they have been receiving online. We need to teach people that even though to them they are just some people on a screen, behind that phone or computer there is an actual person with genuine feelings and that they take those comments very seriously.
- Sexualizing women. The fact that most women and girls don’t feel safe walking alone till the grocery store should be enough proof that this problem exists. Schools tell girls that they have to cover their shoulders or legs or chest because it’s distracting to the boys… They tell us that they have this instinct and need so we have to cover up so that we don’t provoke them. Well how about we teach the boys that a girl/woman is not an object and teach them how to respect them and control this “need” or “instinct”
- Toxic masculinity. Society teaches young boys that they have to be strong and macho, that they can’t cry, that they can’t wear makeup or dresses cause that’s a girl thing. Now there is this thing that the boys say when a guy treats a woman or his girlfriend right and respects her he is simping and he is never gonna be a man if he acts like that. This combines both this problem and the one before. Why is it not ‘manly’ enough to respect a woman? Why do guys just laugh when another guy says he was sexually assaulted and tell him “Shut up, bro, you liked it”… Why is this a thing now?
- Relationships. My parents, for example, used to ask each other out like ‘do you wanna go for a walk’ do you want to go to the movies’ ‘do you wanna go on a date with me’. So now tell me why all girls hear nowadays is ‘wanna f**k’ or “send nudes’. Why does no one value a real connection where you just go for a walk or go stargazing. If this is what the dating scene looks like, I don’t want it.
- Body shaming. This one that hits different for me. I will never understand why people are just this freaking mean. Why does my weight or body shape concern anyone else besides me? Why do people have to live with mental problems like body dysmorphia or anorexia or bulimia just because some people just can’t mind their own business. And the fact that they body shame anyone including children and teenagers blows my mind. It blows my mind how disconsiderate the human race can be. How unimpressed they can be when it comes to someone else’s well being.
This is not a complete list of all of the flaws society has. But in my opinion these are the most pressing and in need of change. We as a society have to change. We need to educate whoever we can that is supporting any of these behaviours and let them know why it is toxic and wrong. We need to be the change. Because if we don’t change anything, no one will. Let’s be better!